Tuesday, January 5, 2010

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

--originally posted 12/23/09--

That's right...get used to it now! Pretty soon, I will resemble our beloved friend, Paul Artino.

OFF TO A NOT-SO-SUCKY START
The day began with an early morning visit to Dr. Castillo's office - he performed the lymph node biopsy. He wanted to see if the incision needed to be aspirated - sucked clean of any excess fluid. A quick look and he determined aspiration was not necessary. That was great news, since now Alethea and I had time to eat a delicious breakfast at Denny's. I made my own Grand Slam. It was, in word, grand.

MEETING THE ONCOLOGIST
Later today, at 2pm, me and my family (sisters Alethea and Natasha, brother-in-law Adler, mom and dad) met with my oncologist, Dr. Saima Saeed.

From what I can tell, God has given me an awesome doctor...several of them actually. She and I spoke at length about the symptoms I had, the results of my PET scan and the treatment options and side effects. She was very friendly and easy to talk with. She didn't mind my family's incessant questions, and she laughed at our ridiculous jokes. I guess technically I am paying her, but still, she didn't HAVE to laugh...

I learned that the lymphoma is in Stage 2A. "2" means it has moved from being in one spot (which would make it Stage 1) and is in two spots...my supraclavicular area (above the clavical) on the left side and also deeper inside my chest between my lungs and behind my heart, also in lymph nodes that are in that area. "A" means that I have had no symptoms of night sweats or weight loss (dang). While this sucks for my weight loss goals, being in camp "A" is a good camp to be. It means this will be easier to treat :)

HAIR CARE FREE
So, the treatment involves several "cycles" of chemotherapy. One "cycle" equals two "sessions." The sessions happen every other week and involve an hour and a half of chemotherapy. Through a "port" - literally a tube thing implanted in my chest, I will receive strong doses of 4 medications. After two months (two cycles) I'll have another PET scan to see how it's working.

The side effects include, among other things, losing my hair. It's guaranteed the doctor says. So, I will have to get used to that. But, better to have no hair than to have hair and cancer, that's what I always say :)

PRAYER PRIORITIES
Please pray that timelines and schedules work out so that I can start chemo as early as next week. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers and support.

Gotta dash...I am trying to get out of work!!!!!!!

Trina

No comments:

Post a Comment