Wednesday, January 20, 2010

CHEMO II

This Friday is Chemo II. I am actually excited for it. One more down and done with. If I pass my blood test I will be able to get my treatment. I am praying that my red blood cell count is high enough that I am not anemic. Since the chemo is affecting how my red blood cells are produced, namely making me produce fewer of them, there is a chance I can become anemic. Since anemia is bad, it would mean having to postpone the treatment for another week. I do NOT want to do that. I have been eating lots of protein lately, though I am not 100% sure that will help. All I can do is pray that getting Chemo II this Friday is God's will.

The past few days I have felt almost back to normal. My stomach has settled down and is no longer acidic/burning and I definitely have more energy than in those first few days after Chemo I. I hope this is an indication that I will be ready on Friday for round two.

SINCE CHEMO I...

Since my first treatment on the 8th, I have completed Hair Phase II. Phase I, if you'll recall, was to cut my hair short and make part of it purple, keeping another part blond. Phase II, completed on January 13th, is an a-line cut and a "chocolate mahogany" color. If I knew how to put pics on my blog I would. Maybe this weekend I will figure that out. Anyway, it has been very well received. I really like it and am now bummed that it will be gone. The point of the phases is to get me used to having littler and littler hair, but now I hope more than ever that I am an exception and it won't fall out. I guess anything's possible. People are already asking what Phase III will be, and I think it will be a lot shorter and maybe a dark red. Priscilla's in charge on this one. Some have suggested a mohawk, but that seems like a lot of maintenance.

Since my first treatment I also had the opportunity to speak at "7:10", a church service I attend on Tuesday nights. It's for "college-aged" kids or "20-somethings"...I certainly am done with college and I'm hanging on to my 20s for another 7 months, but anyway, I love it and am glad that they haven't yet hauled me out. So, my friend Paul who pastors 7:10 asked me to share my story this past Tuesday. He was teaching on James 1:1-8 - about counting our trials as joy because it is trials that improve us and make us know God better. That trials are what God uses to grow us. That God works through them. I could not agree more with those verses. They express exactly what I have come to know since this whole thing started. God's working in me. Having cancer is a BLESSING because God is using it do make me stronger, to make me fear less, to make me trust him more and to give me a platform to express why I am joyful and optimistic in the face of something as "scary" as cancer (the reason why, just so you know, is because even if I die from this, even if I have to deal with this for 10+ years, even if I lose my job and my house and my money and my hair, I will still be OK because God will ALWAYS love me and take care of me and he already saved me from a life without him so everything else in this life is just a bonus anyway). So, the talk went well, and several people came up to talk with me afterward to share their stories, suggestions and prayers.

Since my first treatment I can honestly say that I feel like the cancer is SHRINKING! It's crazy, but literally on the first day I felt it getting smaller. There is a mound-like tumor (I guess a bunch of affected lymph nodes) under my skin where my left shoulder meets my neck. I have to bend a certain way to really see it, but I tell you, the mound is probably 80% reduced in size since my first treatment! That's why I am excited about Friday's second round :)

PRAYER PRIORITIES
1) Pray that God would continue to be glorified in this whole ordeal/trial. That opportunities to share my situation with people will continue to open up. That I will be able to look them in the eye and say without flinching that God's going to fix this, but even if he doesn't he's still GREAT and has already fixed me once and for all (hallelujah!).
2) Pray that I am able to get my treatment on Friday and that I am not anemic.
3) Pray that this work week finishes out not-too-hectically so that I can be as stress-free as possible on Friday.
4) Pray that my sister, Tasha, arrives safely from LA. She's visiting to help take care of me and just hang this weekend. I foresee lots of movies and time in bed. It will be nice to see her and I look forward to it :)
5) Pray that all works out on the financial end (having cancer is a costly thing, you know). I know it all will work out, so just pray that I remember that and don't fall into the temptation to worry about it. God's got me...in all things, even my bills.
6) Pray that my friend Janine is able to come with me on Friday. She and so many others want to come with me to treatments. I pray that the doctor's office will allow it (got to call them tomorrow to ask...pray they say it's OK for her to come).
7) Lastly, pray for my mom that she not worry as well. I imagine it's not easy on any of my family members or friends, but pray they take comfort in knowing that God's got a handle on this and that he is more than capable of doing what's best for all of us.

Thanks for reading :) Hope all of you are doing well in the New Year...

Love you,
T

2 comments:

  1. T, thanks again for sharing on tuesday night, i know it ministered grace to the people there. also, no plans to haul you out, you are grandfathered in, bad choice of words but you catch my drift. we are praying for you always.
    much love,
    paul, lauren,evy and the lucy dog

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the pastor is way beyond 20-something and hasn't been removed, then I guess I stand a chance. Right?

    (Don't cross me, Artino. I may not be Sicilian, but I am half Greek. I do not know when to quit.)

    ReplyDelete