Saturday, March 20, 2010

CHEMO STINKS

It's been a trying and busy month since I last wrote. Just dealing with chemo, a cold, throwing up (I think I overdid it on some vicodin), but also visits from my sisters, a Phase IV fauxhawk (I will post pictures soon) and a lovely change in the weather. Spring is here and I am happy for it, though it makes me want next year to be here soon so I can enjoy weekends outside, a cold beer, a Spring Training game, a trip abroad...things I just can't do right now.

Last weekend I completed my FIFTH chemo treatment. How do I put this? Oh, I know...I HATE CHEMO! It is not a fun experience. What makes it so bad is the smell. It's hard to explain, but when you have chemicals coursing through your system, you SMELL them. You smell them and they make you nauseous. You smell them in your mouth, on your breath, through your skin and in your pee. The smell is like you have your head stuck in a bucket of markers with their caps off. Chemicals.


I learned to chew piece after piece of gum while getting chemo and for the days following. I learned to spray air freshener BEFORE I pee so I smell "fresh linens" and not the stench of chemo in the toilet. I learned to spritz perfume on my sheets and slather on good smelling lotion before I sleep. My dad brought me Vick's Vapo Rub to help when I got a cold two weekends ago...I crammed that up my nose so I smelled that instead of chemo.

About the cold...two weekends ago, March 6th to be exact, I woke up with a cold. Mind you, this was the weekend after my 4th treatment and just four days after my Neulasta shot. So the whole week leading up to the cold was a tough one. My sister, Alethea, was in town and helped me through my first vomiting experience since starting treatment. The Tuesday night before my cold I was hurting pretty bad from the Neulasta. This is the uber-expensive shot I get to encourage my bones to create more white blood cells (WBCs) so that I can keep on my 2-week treatment cycles. So, I took two vicodin before bed to kill the pain (Neulasta makes you feel like your body's been tumbled through a dryer, or better said, hit by a car). Anyway, it must have been too much or my stomach was too empty because I did not tolerate it well. I couldn't sleep (the room was spinning) and so I ended up throwing up twice, just lemon water that Alethea gave me. I learned from this experience that if you have dry heaves, a glass of water with fresh lemon wedges and lemon juice in it is quite refreshing on its way out - no acid sting at all! I was so glad Alethea was here to help me. Poor thing had to leave that Wednesday morning to go back to Virginia. She didn't get much rest that night either.

So Wednesday was rough. Alethea left around 8am and I went into work at noon after not much sleep and did my thing. Then I went home and rested. Thursday and Friday I worked, but was extremely tired. Exhausted really. I'll mention it now, though this may be too much information for some of you, but this chemo apparently has an effect on my reproductive health. I had a marathon 13-day period that I thought surely made me anemic. So, by the time Saturday morning rolled around I was done for. I had a cold and zero energy so I wasn't able to make it to my boss's baby shower or my massage appointment or to church and instead spent my weekend in bed or on the couch watching movies. My dad visited and brought me his cold remedy of choice, Vick's Vapo Rub, and a bottle of Flintstones so I could clear my congested sinuses and load up on iron.

THANKFULLY, I recovered from my cold in a standard time period - for me it usually takes five to seven days. So I suppose that stupid Neulasta worked (though I still don't like having to take it - not only is it ridiculously priced and hurts like hell, but it can rupture my spleen!). Anyway, after my marathon period and cold I thought for certain my pre-chemo bloodwork for my fifth treatment would not pass muster. I told myself I would be happy either way: if my blood counts were too low I would be happy for the break, if they were good enough and I was able to get chemo at least I got another treatment out of the way.

So, this past Friday I went to my doctor's office where Russ, "the blood guy," poked my finger and collected my blood for review. I met with Dr. Saeed for our visit. She asked how I was feeling, I complained about Neulasta and all the things I complained about above, and then she read the results of the blood work. "You're good for chemo today." "Really?!" I was shocked and truthfully, a little disappointed. I really wanted to not have to have chemo.

So, my mom and I went to the hospital where I got my 5th treatment. Oh, you don't know about the hospital part...well, in brief, it works out better insurance-wise for me to visit my doctor and get my bloodwork done in her office and THEN go to the hospital to get chemo. It's all about the semantics, and wording and physical location of where the treatment happens. Whatever. I am done, hopefully for the course of this experience, worrying about what the insurance will and won't cover. Bill me later, bill me later, bill me later...

So, I checked in at the hospital, the chemo order was placed at the hospital's pharmacy and then we waited - about THREE HOURS - until the chemo was ready. Then the chemo took another two hours to administer. While it was going on, I spoke with a Hispanic woman, I believe she was from Guatemala, about her breast cancer. Our conversation was in Spanish and I would give myself a C+ on my performance. Nevertheless, it was awesome to see that this woman was a believer, telling me to put this into God's hands. I smiled and let her know that I knew what she was talking about. I told her I would pray for her, and she told me she'd pray for me. She also told me I should cut my hair shorter since, as it falls out, it's easier to clean up shorter hairs than longer ones. Good advice, and it was true.

Friday night, about an hour after my mom dropped me off from chemo, my friend Priscilla came over and we completed Phase 4 of the hair. We hadn't planned a 4th phase, but my hair, while it is shedding, has hung on for quite a while now. So, we did a little fauxhawk, short on the sides and a little longer down the middle. She also colored it. It's pretty cute. Not something I would choose for myself in my healthier days, but for now, it's still not bald so I am OK with it.

Funny thing about losing hair...your scalp hurts. There's a slight sting going on, even as I type this. Now, I can empathize with men regarding hair loss. Why, that's another benefit of cancer! Who knew? (God, I suppose).

Anyway, you're pretty much all caught up. This weekend is my chemo-FREE weekend! So I am packing it with activity. Oil change; emissions test; lunch with GMa, Mom and Bob; massage; church and housework.

I haven't just learned to cram Vick's up my nose to avoid the smell of chemo throughout this experience, though that is an important thing to learn. I have learned to enjoy my good days. To relax when I need to and to get done today what I can because maybe tomorrow I won't feel good enough to. I have learned to appreciate my chemo-FREE weekends. When this is over, all my weekends will be chemo-FREE so I hope my appreciation for them won't fade.


PRAYER REQUESTS
Pray for me that my attitude toward chemo improves. I HATE it, that's true, but it's also necessary right now.

Pray that miraculously, the smell will go away or won't bother me. Maybe between now and next Friday someone will figure out how to inject the chemo with a little peppermint scent! That would be LOVELY!

Pray that after my 8th treatment, when I get my PET Scan to see how the cancer is responding that this is GONE. Because if it's gone that means just four more treatments.


Thanks for reading, y'all.

Gnite!
T

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Trina! It's been a while :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cool! These posts are very informative, interesting, and much looked forward to. I admire your strength and go-to-it-iveness. I think I just had a "Bush" moment! They are very inspiring to us who read them and are very introspective. You are a brave, wonderful, and amazing person. I know you are this way because of your faith and your true belief in tne one who promises. He will take care of you and has (unknown to us), many wonderful plans to show us His glory through you. You have been chosen! This is a journey with God and take it with great love and humility as He loves you very much. His mercy for you will stir up our feelings, thoughts and the way we act, to try and hopefully follow Him more perfectly. It will teach us to treat our fellow man with respect, kindness and dignity. He loves us and thank you for going through what you are going through to show us that. I thank God for the priveledge of allowing me to be your mother and for raising you through me to be a faithful daughter of His. Thank you for everything honey. I love you very much, Mom xoxox
    P.S. You are His!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Trina. I like your updates. The most I know about chemo is what I read in Lance Armstrong's book about his experience. Your voice and your way of describing it is better. I think you should consider writing a book for children to help them understand life through chemo. Seriously. You have such a strong attitude toward it, although it obviously sucks more than I could ever imagine. I admire you alot. Thank you for sharing your prayer requests, too, so we can all join in your fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to disregard the weight of what you just posted, but, do they have a more "voracious appetite" koi pond? I drop the little food in there and it just doesn't seem like the real thing. Maybe some sound fx at least. VRAUHM VRAUHM VRAUHM VRAUHM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, MacChef, to answer your question, yes. They normally do have a more voracious appetite, but you see, I just got finished feeding them fistfulls of fried rice.

    Haufoffoffoffffoffff!!!

    :)

    love you, Tashi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And Miss Legz (though you are going by "Danielle Farnell" these days), I will consider it. Though, I did tell one of the kids in my Sunday school class that I had cancer and it freaked her out. I probably didn't approach it the right way, but whatever. She'll deal (or better yet, her parents will deal). Ha!

    Love you, too. I finally saw your pregger pic (you on skis)...I could barely tell. That's the price you pay for being physically fit.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there! It's so good to get an update even though it stinks to feel yucky. I'm still praying for you! Also I wanted to know if you ever got the email I sent? Let me know if you have another email besides the teensyfaye one! Love, Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. love you, sis :) you're doing great. hang in there. xo

    ReplyDelete